I stumbled upon MediaMonkey few days ago and if any of you guys are managing tons of MP3, this is one cute little application you should try !
I am still trying to figure out as to how I found this ! Doesn’t matter 😀
Managing MP3 media files is always a pain. Usually you end up with lot of duplicate files and unless the media is tagged properly, it is almost impossible to find the duplicates. However if all the MP3’s are tagged properly (ID3) this problem could be solved.
Manually tagging MP3 is slow and requires a lot of patience. Even when I ripped some songs of my CD collection, they were all stored as “Track01.mp3“, “Track02.mp3” etc. If I copy these songs to my iPod, I will never be able to filter the tracks by Artist,Album etc.
MediaMonkey helps you to AutoTag your MP3 files and saves you from the pain of manually tagging every other track in your library. Before getting into the AutoTag feature, here is the list of features of MediaMonkey
- MediaMonkey is a music manager and jukebox for serious music collectors and iPod users.
- It catalogs your CDs, OGG, WMA, MPC, FLAC, APE, WAV and MP3 audio files.
- It offers an intelligent tag editor which looks up missing Album Art and track information via Freedb and the web, and an automated file and directory renamer to organize your music library.
- It includes a CD ripper, CD/DVD Burner, and audio converter for saving music, and manual or automated playlist editors for creating music mixes.
- Its player automatically adjusts volume levels so that you don’t have continually fiddle with the volume control and supports hundreds of Winamp plug-ins and visualizations; or if you prefer, it can use Winamp as the default player.
- It also includes portable audio device synchronization that allows you to quickly synch tracks and playlists with iPods and other portable audio devices.
Here is how the AutoTag feature works:
- Select single/multiple tracks and press Ctrl+L to invoke the AutoTag feature
- The features makes use of the Amazon Web service. You can search for Artists,Albums etc and if any of the tracks retrieved from the service matches the tracks selected for Autotagging, it is marked automatically. For e.g.
Selected Track: Eternal Flame – MLTR
After Using Search Feature
If the track in the album matches the track in the list, the track number (i.e. 11 in the e.g.) is automatically marked. Once you press the “Auto-Tag” button, the related information i.e. Album, Artist, Year etc are also updated for the track.
You can select a bunch of songs (preferably related) and auto tag them using this feature. Additionally the Album art is also downloaded and the same shows up in your iTunes or iPod !
There are many other interesting/useful features like cleaning up tags, auto tagging from filename etc. Try it out !
Comments on this entry are closed.
Ahha… nice piece of software. I hope to read more such freeware reviews in future
Sure Thilak 🙂