WordPress Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is available for download here. Some of the new features in 2.1 include
- Efficient database code, faster than previous versions
- Tabbed editor
- Lossless XML import and export for moving between WordPress blogs
- WYSIWYG spellchecker
- Search engine blocker for private blogs
- You can set any “page” to be the front page of your site, and put the latest posts somewhere else
- Links can now have sub-categories
- Redesigned login screen
- More AJAX to make custom fields, moderation, deletions, etc all instant
- Pages can now be drafts, or private
- Minor admin redesign
- Upload manager
- Faster dashboard
I setup the 2.1 release on my local WordPress blog. Here are some snapshots of the new features !
The simple boring Admin console has now been re-designed.
Now you can switch between the web preview and the HTML code screen easily in the post editor. There is also a new spell checker included, however this is kind of redundant if you are using Firefox 2.0
New Export Feature
Now you can export your wordpress blog to a XML file and the same can be imported onto another blog. The nice thing about this feature is that all your post metadata is stored properly.
Blog Privacy Setting
If you want a totally private blog, you can now set an option to block search engines.
Front Page Setting
Now you can set any of the static pages as the front page of your blog
I am still testing the new release within my local setup, not sure If I should upgrade this blog with 2.1 RC 1 !
Comments on this entry are closed.
This one is awsome man.I am looking forward to it
Oh, this is so cool. It looks like the one used for hosted wordpress.
Ashish, yup me too looking forward for the final release, should be out in Feb 🙂
Carol, I guess you are referring to the admin console :).
The most important feature as far as I am looking forwards is the efficient database access code that they are talking about !
1. I did not get to see the autosave in action
2. Where is the setting for frontpage ?
3. I am not seeing the tabs you show in the editing post window (visual and code)
4. My screens do not at all match the ones shown in shuttle.
Am I missing something ?
Pls ignore my above comment (except 4 may be)!
Not feb its out.I have upgraded too.Mots of plugins are working .Except for subscribe to comments.Bu ti went to plugin post and guess what they have released a mjor version of it and it works with 2.1.
WP-pagnavi plugin is also not working properly.I will contact the author soon.
@Rk: i am guessing there is a CSS problem.Try refreshing or something.It should work.It works on mine.
Ashish,yes its out and I am also in the process of upgrading ! Subscribe to comments 2.0.8 does work fine with the Wordpress 2.1 and wp-page navi 2.2 should work fine as well
Find all the compatible plugins here http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugins/Plugin_Compatibility/2.1